Belts, Chains, Rollers car parts - all important information about operating method, mounting, diagnostics and service life
Belt Drive allows to transfer mechanical power via flexible belt on account of friction force or gearing. This method makes it possible to transmit the drive power to the component parts that are situated in a short distance. Belt systems are used in the drive of gas distribution mechanism, generator, cooling system, compressor, power steering pump and other important elements of the car.Types of belt systems
- Timing. The belt has special teeth on the inner circumference that run over the pulley inside the grooves. It is used as a timing belt in gas distribution system. The shape of timing belt allows synchronizing with high accuracy the operation of engine crankshaft and camshaft.
- V-belt. It is used in other systems, such as in drive of air conditioning compressor or water pump. Such systems are characterized by simplicity of design, and in case of emergency they can be replaced by scrap materials. However, they wear out quickly and need the tension control.
- V-ribbed. Belts are used in additional systems, but are considered more modern. They have a much higher service life and safety factor. Moreover, with the help of such belt the force can be supplied to all auxiliary systems. However, in case of the V-ribbed belt breakage it is impossible to continue driving of the vehicle.
Regardless of the type and purpose of use the belt drive consists of several parts:
- drive pulley;
- driven pulley;
Besides, when using V-ribbed belt system the tensioning rollers are presented. The whole construction is fixed to the shafts. The current gear ratio is provided depending on the diameters of the pulleys. Pulleys are selected on the basis of the required power and speed of rotation, so it is not recommended to install parts of different size.Exploitation Tips
The most common case of the belt drive failure is the belt malfunction. That is why it is necessary to control its condition and to replace it if necessary. Automotive manufacturers warn that the diagnostic of V-belts must be carried out after every 1,000 kilometres mileage. Thus it is necessary to evaluate the structural condition of the belt mechanism, as well as its functionality. V-ribbed belts have 2-3 times longer service life, but they also need periodic diagnostic.
The belt pulleys should be replaced after 3000 kilometres mileage. It is important not to allow their use after the expiration of the service life of the belt, because the broken belt can damage the accompanying systems. Especially dangerous is the breakage of the timing belt of gas distribution system. This may cause the collision of pistons and valves of the engine, which results in a costly repair.Belt drive failures
- worn-out or broken belt;
- damage of the pulleys;
- damage of the bearings of pulleys.
- general decrease of the car power;
- extraneous sounds during operation of a vehicle;
- deterioration of the individual systems operation when the engine is cold;
- increased noise level;
- worn-out condition of the belts.
- use of materials and details of low quality;
- ignoring the rules of the system operation;
- looseness of fasteners of the belt rollers;
- Improper installation of pulleys or belts;
- oil on the surface of the belt;
- getting of foreign body into the system;
- low oil level in the system.
Repair of belts and pulleys is not relevant, because the new spare parts have a relatively low price. Replacement of the majority of elements of the car belt systems can be made independently. However, this requires knowledge of the system construction and experience in the repair work. It should be noted that even in case of small damages you need to replace the belt and rollers.
Belt transmission is one of the systems, which requires timely care. Belt drive is easy to buy and it is not much harder to install it. It is important to make it in time in order to avoid major problems. The price of the belt is less significant than the costs for repairing of the engine or other systems.Advantages of cooperating with us
On our website you can find absolutely any spare parts for all models of cars. Convenient catalogue design allows you to select directly what you need. Attractive prices, guarantee for all products and a competent online support team, which will consult you on any issue, are expecting you on our site. Just a couple of clicks - and your order will be delivered to the specified address. Buy cheap spare parts quickly and easily - buy spare parts on our site!