Learn more about Inner Tie Rod - operation method, diagnosis, causes of faults and replacement intervals.
Steering knuckle tie rod end serves as a link between the steering mechanism and the wheel. The component provides a flexible joint of steering gear and steering knuckle.Tie Rod End Types
- Screw connection on both sides.
- Hinged connection:
- With one hinge. It is used in systems based on the steering gear and steering linkage.
- With two hinges. Set in systems with rack and pinion steering gear.
The part is a straight or curved rod that connects the steering rod using the nut. Its hinges consist of a movable pin, a spring, a seal, support washers and bushings. The tie rod is thickened at the end, and at the same time is a pin holder. This unit can be assembled and solid.Operation Tips for Tie Rod End
- This part experiences a heavy load as a result of the impact of countervailing forces, so its examination should be carried out regularly.
- Seal rupture may cause malfunction of the entire assembly. The seal should be replaced immediately if a fault is detected.
- After removing or replacing the tie rod end wheel alignment is mandatory.
- Careful driving will substantially increase the part life.
- mechanical damage to the part;
- Getting the pin out of the hinge;
- wear of part;
- damage, break of seal or boot;
- deformation of the spring.
- steering wheel off center;
- the presence of abnormal sounds when cornering;
- steering wheel vibration;
- rotating steering wheel requires greater effort;
- driveability decrease.
- exposure to moisture and dirt;
- aggressive driving;
- operation of the car on roads with low quality surface;
- untimely service.
Repairs of Tie Rod end is held in service shops with special equipment. In case of serious damage or deformation the part is to be replaced. You can do it by yourself:
- provide reliable support of the vehicle front in raised position;
- remove the split pin and unscrew the nut;
- set a puller and hit with a hammer on the pivot rod lug having tightened its nut;
- remove the tie rod from the coupling;
- install a new item and follow the above steps in reverse order.
If you have any questions you can contact us for advice. Our technical support team is happy to advise you, providing a lot of useful information. Autodoc is your skilled information support!
Safe Order 200 days
Best price guarantee
А convenient app for buying car parts
Car repair videos